Yoga Therapy Training for Seniors and Osteoporosis
Nursing CEU Eligible: 19 hours
Yoga Alliance RYT's and E-RYT's: This course will offer continuing education credit. Details coming soon.
- Dec 1 – 4, 2013
Prerequisite: Principles of Yoga Therapy (which has additional prerequisites) or permission of the instructor, for AYTT graduates or RYT's from Yoga Alliance
Our increasing population of seniors is looking for ways to maintain health and age gracefully. The aging process can vary widely from one person to the next, with a common variable being how active or sedentary the person is. For many people the aging process involves loss of muscular strength, decreased flexibility, and increased risk for falls. About 55% of people over 50 have low bone density, which increases their risk for fracture.
Yoga teachers and yoga therapists have an opportunity to provide a much-needed service by learning to help older people:
- Practice yoga safely
- Use yoga practice to optimize bone strength
- To maintain muscle strength and flexibility
In this course, you will learn:
- How to teach yoga gently and safely to help seniors maintain a full and active life
- How to help people build strength, flexibility, and balance
- How to enhance bone density for the otherwise healthy yoga practitioner and for those with low bone density.
- How to modify asanas for those with osteoporosis, including those who already experience postural and structural changes.
Your instructors for this course are all certified Ananda Yoga teachers as well as medical professionals: Barbara Bingham, PT; Maitri Jones, RN; Nayaswami Mangala, RN, Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner.
Yoga Therapy Training for Seniors and Osteoporosis starts the afternoon of the first date listed. It’s ideal to arrive before 4 pm, if you are able to. That way, you can join in the afternoon session of yoga and meditation, which begins at 4:45 pm. Dinner is at 6:30. The first real gathering of your group is at 7:30 pm. If you need to arrive here after 5 pm, that’s fine, but it helps us if you let us know at 800-346-5350. We can also put aside a dinner for you if you need to arrive after 7 pm. The program ends with lunch on the last date. Please see our Daily Schedule.
Ananda Yoga Therapy Training
- Frequent Questions
- Apply for Level 1
- Principles of Yoga Therapy
- Musculoskeletal Yoga Therapy
- Advanced Pranayama
- Meditation Teacher Training
- Ananda Yoga Teacher Training Assistantship
- The Essence of the Yoga Sutras
- Ayurveda and Yoga Therapy
- Yoga Therapy Specialty Areas I
- Yoga Therapy Training for Seniors and Osteoporosis
- Restorative Yoga Teacher Training
or e-mail or call us at 1-800-346-5350
- Dec 1 – 4, 2013
Yoga Therapy Training for Seniors and Osteoporosis starts the afternoon of the first date listed and ends with lunch on the last date. Please see our Daily Schedule.
Yoga Alliance RYT’s and E-RYT’s receive a 10% discount on the total cost for Yoga Therapy Training for Seniors and Osteoporosis. To receive the discount, simply tell us your Yoga Alliance registry ID number (it’s on your RYT/E-RYT card) when you register.