“Within a few days I began to experience a peace and joy that I had never felt before in my entire life. What was unique and wonderful about this vacation was that the new level of peace I felt was a direct result of the yoga lifestyle I was living at The Expanding Light Retreat.”
- Annalisa Cunningham, Author,
Yoga Vacations: A Guide to International Yoga Retreats
Give yourself a gift: unplug from busy-ness and recharge your spiritual batteries. Come almost any day of the year and stay as long as you like. Check availability and costs online for your personal retreat for the dates and accommodations you require.
For Health and Leisure
- 700 acres of beautiful rolling meadows and forestland in the Sierra Nevada foothills, for long walks
- Meeting spiritual seekers of all backgrounds from around the world.
- Delicious vegetarian meals from our own Expanding Light cookbooks and recipes. Our meals include fresh organic produce from Ananda Farms, as well as other organically grown ingredients, homemade breads, gluten- and dairy-free options.
- Personal services at The Expanding Light (offered for $75 per hour), including: spiritual counseling; private yoga sessions; private yoga therapy sessions.
- Long walks on our beautiful 700 acres of forest and meadowland;
- Massage/Healing Modalities (at the Center for Radiant Health – at additional charge)
To Renew and Re-inspire Your Spiritual Life
- Two daily guided sessions of yoga postures, Energization Exercises, and meditation
- A practical technique of meditation that Yogananda called "one of India's greatest gifts to the world"
- Classes on What is Kriya Yoga? and Patanjali's Yoga Sutras
- An evening practicing Yogananda's technique for sending healing to people at a distance
- Visits to Crystal Hermitage and Gardens and Museum. Here, you can also meditate in the home and Moksha Mandir of Ananda’s founder, Swami Kriyananda, who passed away in 2013.
- An evening of devotional chanting
Follow your own schedule entirely, or partake of any of the offerings to help you deepen your personal, spiritual journey. Visit for 4 days or more, and receive the option of a complimentary hour of Spiritual Counseling.
We look forward to serving you.
“Everyone, including those on retreat, really made every moment a joy for me. I have made friends for a lifetime. My retreat met every need and more than I ever imagined I would get from a weeklong personal retreat. I had never meditated before coming. I have learned how to meditate and make it a part of my everyday life. I have a tool and a daily habit to achieve calmness, mindfulness, and greater health and happiness. The food was amazing and plentiful - simple, pure, and made with love. My favorite part of the classes was learning from joyous and radiant teachers who are good examples. I liked that we could ask any question and make the classes ours.” – Tina
“I want to thank you for a wonderful weekend! I thoroughly enjoyed the yoga, meditation, meals, and the peaceful rain. I especially appreciated Catherine's personal attention. I couldn't have asked for a better way to begin my 50th year!” – Shawn C.
20% Discount on a Stay of a Month or More
Are you ready for some serious “time out” – want to write a book, or just do some deep relaxing? Stay for a month or more and receive a 20% discount on your visit.
Catherine Kairavi, or another of our teaching staff, will be happy to meet with you to see how we can best serve your needs and make your stay an uplifting one.
For more information, please send us a Question or Comment:
We are making scheduled airport runs to pick up and drop off guests at a reasonable cost. If a ride is available at the beginning or end of the personal retreat you are taking, the option to select a ride will appear when you reserve online. Check the list of available dates.
or e-mail or call us at 1-800-346-5350
Personal Retreat (PR)
Personal Retreat is available almost every day, except the nights of:
Oct 9-10, Oct 15-17, Nov 25-28, Dec 22-25, Dec 29-Jan 1, Jan 7-9, May 19-21, Jun 16-18
Personal Retreat guests: we need you to make your reservation by 4 pm the day before your arrival so that we may properly serve you.
Normal Daily Rates
Sacramento Airport Pick-up and Drop-off. Learn more...
“I could not have envisioned a more perfect personal retreat...”
– Pamela Hazard, Santa Barbara, CA